(Sky News) UN monitors have entered the Syrian village of Mazraat al Qubeir, the site of an alleged massacre of at least 78 people.
The United Nations observers had been trying to reach the tiny village of about 150 residents since Thursday but had been blocked by Syrian forces and residents from nearby villages.
The monitors were fired at by gunmen and forced to turn back as they tried to reach the village located in the central province of Hama.
The team has been sent to to investigate claims that forces loyal to the Syrian government killed dozens of people, including women and children.
Sky News foreign editor Tim Marshall is also inside the village.
He said: "Clearly something ghastly has happened here."
He described dead animals in the street and charred buildings but said no human bodies were immediately identifiable.
He added: "We have made it in 50, 60 hours after the event, and that means there has been ample time to clear up."
The UN observers are talking to villagers to gather eyewitness accounts and their technical experts will study the charred remains to see if they are human or not.
Friday, June 8, 2012
UN monitors reach alleged massacre site in Syria: "Clearly something ghastly has happened here"