(NDTV) A British diplomatic convoy was attacked in Benghazi on Monday, an embassy spokeswoman said, in the latest of a spate of attacks on foreign targets in the eastern Libyan city that some analysts blame on Islamist militants.H/t: EuropeNews
The spokeswoman said all staff were accounted for after the attack, which took place on Monday afternoon.
Benghazi was the cradle of the uprising last year which ended Muammar Gaddafi's 42-year rule.
The city is now suffering from a spike in violence.
Security experts say the area around the city is host to a number of Islamist militant groups who oppose any Western presence in Muslim countries.
Five days ago, an explosive device was dropped from a passing car outside the offices of the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi.
On May 22, a rocket-propelled grenade hit the offices of the International Committee of the Red Cross.
A month earlier in Benghazi, a bomb was thrown at a convoy carrying Ian Martin, the head of the United Nations mission in Libya.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
British Diplomatic Convoy Attacked in Benghazi